Wednesday, February 8, 2012

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday: Toasty Meerkats

It's chilly today, and I was sitting in front of the fireplace, getting toasty, as I looked through my photos for some [Mostly] Wordless Wednesday inspiration, and here were these little guys, getting toasty in front of a space heater:


So I thought I'd share them. Cute little guys, aren't they? This isn't the first time I've shared the meerkats, though it is the first time it's been this particular photo. They're a cute and feisty little bunch, full of personality.

I had no idea what meerkats were until "The Lion King." I wonder if we'd have them at the zoo if it weren't for that movie. Things that make you go hmmmm...

Speaking of things that make you go hmmm, Arsenio will be on the new season of "The Apprentice." Anyone watching that? And did anyone catch the 2 hour premier of "The River?" I wanted to watch it and failed to DVR it, so I have to wait until it's available online. I'm curious if it was any good.

Did you know meerkats existed before Disney introduced them?

May you find your Muse.

11 comments:

Deborah Walker said...

That's just darling. And yes, I knew about them. Thank you BBC wildlife programming.

Andrew Leon said...

I love meerkats. Have since I was a kid.
Of course, what I really want is a racoon. Or a squirrel.

Susan Kane said...

Had seen Meerkats at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. I did not know how wily they could be.

Jo Schaffer said...

As a little girl, I remember seeing a National Geographic documentary about the African Savannah desert and there were meerkats-- I remember thinking they were so cute!

Rek Sesh said...

I had seen pictures but the name registered thanks to Disney.
Te picture is cute and cheeky "in the bum" kind of a way. :)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Deborah, reading these comments, I think I'm the only one who didn't know of them!

Andrew, a raccoon or a squirrel? But why?! LOL! I do enjoy the squirrels in my backyard, though they often drive me nuts. Lots of personality. I haven't had any personal experience with raccoons.

Susan, I don't remember if any of the zoos I visited had meerkats before. If they did, I didn't retain it.

Jo, they are definitely cute!

Rek, hee hee, thanks!

Andrew Leon said...

Racoons go back to reading My Side of the Mountain. They're really smart and somewhat easy to domesticate. A racoon just seems like it would make an awesome companion.
And squirrels just seem like a lot of fun.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Andrew, I see. I imagine the squirrel from "Over the Hedge" as a pet. "But I like the cookie?"

Andrew Leon said...

Something like that, yeah :)

Stephanie V said...

Meerkats are so much fun to watch. I loved the BBC (I think) series on the tribes of meerkats in Africa. That was an education.

I so wanted to watch The River but alas my cable coverage didn't include that channel.
Thanks for the visit.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Stephanie, you've reminded me to look it up online! I hope you get to watch it.

Meerkat Manor, right? I never watched it, but I remember seeing snippets in movies (Alvin and the Chipmunks) and such.