Wednesday, November 30, 2011

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday 11/30/11 & PPW Event

I've been wanting to post this little guy for awhile. He's an Asiatic Black Bear, and I think he's adorable.


These guys are sort of hidden at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, but it's fun to visit them. The Asiatic Black Bears climb trees in their habitat, and the zoo does enrichment where they send a snack down in a paper bag on a zipline, which is always fun to watch, because the bears love it. You can visit the bears at the zoo or HERE.

These guys are found in, gasp, Asia! They like honey, just like Pooh Bear. Some interesting bear facts (not just Asiatic): A male is called a boar, a female a sow, and a group of bears is called a sloth or sleuth, which otherwise have entirely different meanings, of course. More info on bears HERE.

I'm a bit behind on responding to comments and visiting, but will catch up this week.

Also, I wanted to let people know about an event for kids and teens at the Citadel Mall, here in Colorado Springs, put on by Pikes Peak Writers in partnership with other groups. There will be crafts and creative activities for smaller kids, Hunger Games activities for teens, and visits from Santa and The Fairy Godmother. More information can be found HERE.

Lastly, I will be posting about a Flash Fiction Contest within the next couple days (Monday, at the latest). Keep an eye out! I'm excited to be helming this project for the Pikes Peak Branch of the National League of American Pen Women. The contest will be open to non-members, male and female alike, which is my favorite part! I'm not a fan of excluding any gender from events.

Any fun activities in your neck of the woods? Ever seen an Asiatic Black Bear? Aren't they the cutest?

May you find your Muse.

8 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

That bear looks like my dog does when she's itching her butt. heh

Are you just organizing the contest, or are you the judge, too?

shelly said...

The bear is cute.

Susan Kane said...

Bears are amazing creatures, and I have always respected/adored them. Paddington Bear was a favorite book for my students; he was a South American Sun Bear, I think.
Bears: gotta love 'em.

Empty Nest Insider said...

What an adorable bear! It's great news that you're heading up this special flash fiction contest! Julie

Arlee Bird said...

I've seen the black bears in the wild in the Great Smoky Mountains. I guess they would be very similar.


Lee--

Would you like to share your A to Z experience? See this week's post.
Blogging from A to Z

Shannon Lawrence said...

Andrew, it does look like that, eh? I'm organizing it, so cannot judge it.

Shelly, he is, isn't he?

Susan, I had no idea they ever said a type of bear for him. How fun!

Julie, thanks, I'm excited! Lot of hard work, but I'm looking forward to the contest, itself.

Lee, how great! I've seen wild bears here (brown bears, I think?). There's nothing like seeing an animal in the wild.

Anonymous said...

That bear is adorable. I might have seen bears at zoos long ago, but I haven't seen any recently.

Thanks for the contest opportunity.

Shannon Lawrence said...

No bears? That's no fun!